Vancouver Botanical Garden Association (Board Member)Organization Name: Vancouver Botanical Garden Association
Opportunity Title: Board Member
Category: Boards / Committee / Leadership
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: April 30, 2023
End Date: March 27, 2024
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
The Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association (VBGA) is seeking interested persons to volunteer to join the Board of Directors starting in May 2023. We invite people to apply who have a passion for botanical gardens, environmental education, gardening, stewardship, and connecting people to plants and who are committed to strengthening the VBGA in its Mission and Vision.
While all interested persons may apply, this year the Board is particularly looking for three persons with professional expertise in finance, environment, ecology, and law.
The VBGA is committed to equity and diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including people of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression; Indigenous peoples; visible minorities and racialized people; and people with disabilities.
About the VBGA
Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association, a registered charitable organization, delivers educational programs and Garden projects at VanDusen Botanical Garden, a 55-acre botanical garden and Bloedel Conservatory, a domed, lush tropical rainforest paradise in the heart of Vancouver. As Vancouver’s ‘green heart,’ we help to protect the globe’s biodiversity while acting as an oasis of calm in a busy city, providing a place for people to connect with nature and find peace in a world of plants and beauty.
The objective of the Association is to enhance and preserve VanDusen Botanical Garden and the Bloedel Conservatory, to provide promotional and educational programs related to botanical and environmental awareness, and to raise funds and provide volunteers to assist with the development of the Garden and Conservatory and support the Association’s endeavours. The Association operates pursuant to a joint operating agreement with the City of Vancouver – Board of Parks and Recreation, the registered owner and operator of the Garden and the Conservatory
The VBGA has approximately 16,000 members, 700 volunteers and currently employs 21 full-time and part-time staff with an annual operating budget of approximately $2.1 million.
- Commitment and dedication to the work of the VBGA.
- Maintaining a current membership.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: policy, finance, legal, education, marketing, fundraising, human resources, and advocacy.
- Willingness to serve on at least one Committee.
- Acting as a Garden and Conservatory ambassador by supporting special VBGA functions and fundraising events.
- Providing an annual donation to the VBGA appropriate to one’s own financial resources.
- Assisting in developing and maintaining positive relations among the Board, Committees, staff members, and volunteers to enhance the mission of the VBGA.
- Participating in the Volunteer and Board orientation programs.
- Participating in monthly Board meetings, Committee meetings, Board Retreats, Special meetings, and the Annual General Meeting, including advance preparation.
Qualification requirements, expectations of Board members, authority, responsibility, and terms of office are outlined VBGA Board of Directors Nomination and Consent Form
- Board members volunteer an average of 5 -10 hours per month.
- Term of Office Directors can be elected to a maximum of three consecutive three-year terms following the Annual General Meeting at which they were originally nominated. Directors may resign at any time by written notice to the President of the VBGA Board.
Please visit https://www.vandusengarden.org/2023-board-of-directors/
- Review the Board Member Position Description here.
- Complete the VBGA Board of Directors Nomination and Consent Form and submit attention to the Nominations Committee via email to: Lee Laxton email@example.com by April 16th, 2023, when nominations close.
The Nominations Committee is pleased to speak with any person who has questions about the responsibilities of a Director and the nominations process. Please send your contact information to Lee Laxton, Senior Executive Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the Committee will contact you to answer your questions.
The Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association (VBGA) acknowledges that VanDusen Botanical Garden and Bloedel Conservatory are located on the unceded Ancestral shared lands of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səlílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. We are honoured to be on the lands where these Nations have lived since time immemorial, and where they continue to maintain stewardship and live in balance with nature. Our work of promoting environmental sustainability and stewardship would not be possible without Indigenous perspectives and knowledge.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions5251 Oak St., Vancouver V6M 4H1
Other Vancouver Botanical Garden Association Volunteer Opportunities
Garden GuidesOrganization: Vancouver Botanical Garden Association
Category: Environmental Improvement
Description: Organizational profile Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association, a registered charitable organization, delivers educational programs and …Read More
Other Boards / Committee / Leadership Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Outreach CoordinatorOrganization: Type B Motorsports
Description: The Type B Motorsports team at UBC is looking for a Volunteer Outreach Coordinator to help us find and recruit passionate volunteers. As a …Read More