Easter Seals BC/Yukon (Camp Volunteer Counselor)Organization Name: Easter Seals BC/Yukon
Opportunity Title: Camp Volunteer Counselor
Category: Children & Youth
Commitment: Less than 6 months
Start Date: July 1, 2019
End Date: August 31, 2019
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
Easter Seals BC/Yukon is seeking a Volunteer Counsellor to provide support and supervision to campers. This is a two-week role starting in July or August of 2019 depending on availability. Volunteer Counsellors will receive a $500 honorarium upon completion of two full weeks, as well as a letter of reference that can be used for school or work. Successful applicants will be required to complete a criminal record check.
Volunteer Counsellors at BC Easter Seals Summer Camps are responsible for providing direct care, support, supervision and assistance to campers in accordance with the Society’s policies, procedures and objectives Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Attend to the camper’s emotional well-being, ensuring they feel secure, comfortable, and welcome in the camp environment.
- Attend to camper’s personal and hygienic needs (washing, feeding, toileting etc.) and coordinate such activities appropriately within the camp schedule.
- Be familiar with the assigned campers’ special medical conditions and/or behavioural issues and act according to care support directives provided by the Camp Coordinators, Nurse and the campers’ parents/guardians.
- Monitor the assigned campers’ special diets and contact with allergens.
- As much as possible, encourage each camper’s independence and recognize and utilize potentials for personal growth or social development.
- Conduct one’s self as an effective role model at all times.
- Assist assigned campers in selecting activities as required.
- Encourage maximum camper participation in all activities, while respecting a camper’s personal choice to not participate in an activity.
- Ensure camper’s belongings are well cared for throughout a camp session and are accounted for upon arrival and departure from camp. Ensure that each item is checked off the clothing list and the list returned with the belongings.
- Immediately report any concerns regarding the camper’s emotional/physical well-being or behavior to the Camp Coordinators and Leaders.
- Ensure that effective standards of safety are maintained at all times.
- Report all accidents, seizures or illnesses to the Health Care Team immediately.
- Follow the directions of the Health Care Team and the Camp Coordinators and Leaders at all times.
- In the event of an emergency, follow the appropriate procedures reviewed during training.
- Complete and submit incident reports and other documentation as required.
- Assist Camp Leaders in coordinating activities outside of scheduled program periods.
- Participate in all camp activities.
- Offer feedback and input into planning programs.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings.
- Work night duty and rest duty as required.
- Develop an award of recognition for each camper.
- Assist Camp Leaders in completing evaluations on all campers and PSW’s on the appropriate forms.
- Complete all necessary paperwork in time required.
- Fulfil duties assigned during weekly site cleanup and end of season cleanup.
- Perform various duties surrounding the camp program and camper care as required throughout the summer.
- Other duties as directed by the Camp Coordinators and Leaders.
- Adhere to Society’s code of conduct, privacy, IT and other related policies.
- Ability to troubleshoot and think on their feet in times of crisis to ensure a positive end result.
- Ability to work effectively with other team members as well as function independently.
- Ability to adapt and adjust in a changing environment
- Ability to cope in a demanding environment.
- Strong relationship building and communication skills.
- Extremely well organized with strong multi-tasking abilities.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
A two-week position starting in July or August of 2019 depending on availability
This is a great opportunity with many avenues for learning and growth. You will be working in a dynamic, fun, team-oriented work environment. If this opportunity is of interest to you, please visit our page at https://www.eastersealsbcy.ca/camp/camp-staff/ and complete the online application form.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity