YMCA Next Stop Canada (Next Stop Canada Mentor)Organization Name: YMCA Next Stop Canada
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Mentor
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: September 30, 2020
End Date: February 24, 2021
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
Major Duties: Next Stop Canada is an online portal for pre-arrival immigrants to virtually connect with professionals in Canada who are currently working in their desired field. All communication is done online via the Next Stop Canada platform, or via email with YMCA staff. Under the direct supervision of YMCA staff, volunteers:
- Answer questions from pre-arrival immigrants and recommend resources to help them with their career and settlement needs.
- Respond to questions within one week.
- Share immigration experiences and provide practical settlement tips to pre-arrival professionals.
- Minimum age 23
- Preferably has life experience as a newcomer.
- Post-secondary education and currently employed in specialized career industry (example: engineering, nursing, teaching, etc.)
- Volunteers must be certified in their career field if industry standards require it.
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate some technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, reliable and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Only qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring newcomers have a positive transition into Canadian society.
- Expand your network.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision
Time Commitment: Six-month commitment preferred. Flexible hours; approximately four hours a month.
*This position is entirely online.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions2200 Yonge Street
Other YMCA Next Stop Canada Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Help end violence against women and girls – volunteer at My Sister’s Closet. Our Retail Program and Social Enterprise provides girls and women with volunteer experience which increases …Read More
Description: CNIB is a registered charity, passionately providing community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, …Read More
Description: Interested in volunteering in a one-on-one setting? CNIB’s Vision Mate program might be the right for you! Once a week for two hours, Vision Mate volunteers are “matched” to an individual …Read More