Canadian Cancer Society (Canadian Cancer Society Front Desk Support)Organization Name: Canadian Cancer Society
Opportunity Title: Canadian Cancer Society Front Desk Support
Category: Administration / Clerical / Office
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: June 24, 2019
End Date: June 1, 2025
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
Front Desk Assistant
As a frontline representative of the Canadian Cancer Society, the front desk support team provides a professional and welcoming environment for the community to access cancer-related information and services. By providing staff, volunteers, donors and other stakeholders with excellent customer service the front desk support team helps keep the day-to-day operations of the office moving forward and enhances the community’s participation in Society services, programs, and events.
This position is based out of our BC and Yukon Division office, located on 625 Howe Street, Vancouver. Our casual, inclusive working environment encourages a supportive community of like-minded people. Here at the Canadian Cancer Society, we take pride in the health and wellness of our staff and volunteer workforce. This includes ensuring that our workspace enables healthy choices, such as the use of standing desks, stretching breaks, and the onsite kitchen, gym, meditation room and bike storage. Space is shared among all of our departments, including support programs, health promotion, marketing, fundraising and the Jean C Barber Lodge. We welcome people of all backgrounds, abilities, and interests.
Training and Support
- Face to Face Volunteer Orientation: the face to face orientation is facilitated by our Volunteer Engagement staff team and held in our Division office. The orientation includes an overview of the Canadian Cancer Society’s history, service, events and volunteer program, as well as a chance to discuss year-round opportunities and meet both staff and other volunteers
- Volunteer Handbook: Available to all volunteers, this resource provides a general overview of the Society’s structure and volunteer program, including expectations, policies and procedures, mission delivery and brand position
- Role-specific training, with ongoing mentorship and support from the Front Desk Assistant
- Front Desk manual and toolkit
- Help people affected by cancer access information and services in a warm and supportive atmosphere
- Interact with the community as an advocate of the Canadian Cancer Society
- Network with a team that is enthusiastic about supporting cancer patients and changing the future of cancer in a non-profit office environment
- Weekly 4 hour shift during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 9AM – 5AM for a minimum of 4 months.
- Monday Afternoon 1:00 PM-5:00 PM
- Tuesday Afternoon 1:00 PM-5:00 PM
- Thursday Afternoon 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Respond to phone calls and emails with professionalism, patience, and kindness
- Keep up to date on Society activities, services, policies, and procedures and participate in ongoing training.
- Provide caring and supportive referrals to Society services and programs.
- Receive donations in a confidential and professional manner.
- Be an ambassador for the Canadian Cancer Society.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of the Canadian Cancer Society mission, programs, and services (or willingness to learn) and active participation in ongoing training
- Intermediate level Microsoft Office skills (or willingness to learn)
- Excellent verbal and written communication; fluency of the English language
- Ability to connect with a wide variety of people and handle sensitive topics with kindness and patience
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude and comfort with adapting to change
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity