Mood Disorders Society of Canada (Companionship Conversationalist – Improving Veterans Wellness)Organization Name: Mood Disorders Society of Canada
Opportunity Title: Companionship Conversationalist – Improving Veterans Wellness
Category: Counselling / Support / Mentoring
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: May 23, 2022
End Date: May 22, 2023
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
- Training or orientation required
The Mood Disorders Society of Canada (MDSC) is looking for volunteers that enjoy conversation and have a smile in their voice to join our team for our “Improving Veterans Wellness” program.
As a Companionship Conversationalist, you will help support Veterans and their family members by offering informal one-on-one phone calls. These calls are offered in a safe, private, and trust-based environment.
In your role, you will have regularly scheduled phone calls with a Veteran and/or family member/s as a way of providing connection. Companionship calls take place Monday to Friday evenings from 6 – 9pm Eastern but you would only be required to work at times that are scheduled with your clients.
This work requires a person who is able to speak with ease, who is compassionate, empathic, and wishes to support a vulnerable community.
This might be a great opportunity for you if you are interested in developing your peer support skills.
Training in peer support and basic mental health literacy education are provided.
*This is a virtual opportunity.
- Contact clients to establish a trust-based relationship and schedule phone calls
- Conduct client-centered companionship phone calls with Veterans and their family members, following the companionship call script to lead into and out of the phone conversations.
- Professionally represents MDSC at all times
- Participation in MDSC Volunteer training and the
Peer and Trauma Support Services (PATSS) training program
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Active and empathic listening skills
- Respectful interpersonal skills
- High level of comfort speaking with folks from different backgrounds or generations
- Aptitude for building strong relationships and proactively establishing ties with clients
- Good customer service and care for the client
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong sense of discernment and judgment (particularly regarding sensitive or personal issues)
- Ability to work with basic technology such as Google Forms or be willing to learn it
- One year commitment to working on this project
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Three references
- A vulnerable sector check
- Direct experience within the mental health field and/or experience working with Veterans is considered an asset
- Speak, reading, and writing in multiple languages an asset
Through online application at https://mdsc.ca/volunteer/
Any questions, please contact email@example.com
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get DirectionsVancouver, BC
Other Mood Disorders Society of Canada Volunteer Opportunities
Category: Administration / Clerical / Office
Description: The Mood Disorders Society of Canada (MDSC) is looking for an organized self-starter to volunteer as an administrative research assistant …Read More
Other Counselling / Support / Mentoring Volunteer Opportunities
Description: The Looking Glass Foundation is always ready to welcome passionate, dedicated people who are willing to share their amazing gifts with our …Read More