Frontier College (Learning Support Volunteer/Tutor)Organization Name: Frontier College
Opportunity Title: Learning Support Volunteer/Tutor
Category: Education / Training / Teaching
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year, Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: October 14, 2022
End Date: October 25, 2040
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
FRONTIER COLLEGE is a national charitable literacy organization, established in 1899 on the belief that literacy is a right. We work collaboratively with community-based agencies across Canada to provide targeted, innovative literacy and numeracy support where it’s needed most. Each year, over 31,000 children, youth, and adults participate in our programs in more than 160 communities throughout the country. Read more at frontiercollege.ca
Volunteer as a learning partner in one of our community partner programs in the Lower Mainland. Choose to work one-on-one or in group settings with kids, youth, or adults. Work directly with learners on their homework assignments, life skills, and other engaging, inclusive, and fun learning activities.
On average, tutors spend 2-4 hrs per week volunteering. Programs are located in Burnaby, Vancouver, and New Westminster. Virtual options are also available.
See our local volunteers talk about their experiences with Frontier College in this video!
– An inclusive, respectful approach to working with learners, that prioritizes the learner’s strengths and goals
– A solution-oriented and flexible attitude, as every session can be different
– No teaching or education experience is necessary – our volunteers come from many different backgrounds and experiences!
– Willingness to commit to a regular tutoring schedule and show up for all sessions
What you’ll receive:
– Gain experience working with communities in alternative learning settings, which can present unique challenges and rewards. You will not only build a relationship with program learners and fellow volunteers, but also with our community partners.
– Receive training focused on student-centered individualized learning and anti-oppression, as well as ongoing support from staff, and engagement with your fellow tutors.
– We may provide a reference after 6 months of volunteering, and you can also be added to our email list to receive updates on employment postings.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to become a volunteer!
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Other Frontier College Volunteer Opportunities
Other Education / Training / Teaching Volunteer Opportunities
Description: ONE TO ONE Literacy Society is looking for enthusiastic, compassionate, and open-minded individuals to share the joy of reading with …Read More
Description: JA British Columbia (JABC) is a not-for-profit impact organization that delivers free hands-on, immersive education in work readiness, …Read More
Description: Volunteer with the BC Crisis Centre! Be a part of a dynamic team making a difference in the lives of hundreds of youth in the Lower …Read More
Description: Are you a storyteller? Want to welcome the Year of the Rabbit in a creative and artistic way? Volunteer as an Activity Leader for our …Read More