This volunteer opportunity has expired!
YMCA Next Stop Canada (Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor – Virtual)Organization Name: YMCA Next Stop Canada
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor – Virtual
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: April 1, 2022
End Date: April 1, 2023
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
Next Stop Canada Youth (NSCY) is a program that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to pre-arrival youth ages 12 to 19 who are destined for Canada. This online program helps overseas youth prepare for immigration by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society.
Major Duties May Include:
- Mentoring and chatting with pre-arrival youth to help them with their settlement needs.
- Sharing immigration experience and providing practical settlement tips to pre-arrival youth.
- Working with other NSCY mentors to develop NSCY online content (blogs, vlogs).
- Attending monthly online meetings to further develop skills and provide input for NSCY.
- Assisting with meetings including facilitating discussions, and helping with virtual activity set-up.
- Completing mentor training.
- Six months commitment which includes monthly online meetings, mentoring one hour per week and may include additional projects which can be completed virtually.
- Must be between the ages of 14 – 24.
- Successful applicants to this role will need to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience and sensitivity dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate good technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, punctual, outgoing and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and team work skills.
- Experience working with newcomers or have life experience as a newcomer is an asset.
- Ability to communicate in a second language is an asset. We are particularly looking for Arabic, Farsi, Tagalog, and French speakers.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring overseas newcomer youth have a positive transition into Canadian society while earning volunteer hours.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Build new skills and learning strategies through facilitated training.
* This position is entirely online.
Get Directions2200 Yonge St. Toronto, ON
Other YMCA Next Stop Canada Volunteer Opportunities
No Entries Found
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
OpenTable Kitchen ManagerOrganization: OpenTable at Cityview Church
Description: Are you a caring adult with cooking and/or kitchen management skills who is looking to contribute to a flourishing community meal …Read More
FAMILY PLAZA COORDINATOR-CARNAVAL DEL SOLOrganization: Latincouver
Description: EVENT COORDINATOR FAMILY PLAZA COORDINATOR-CARNAVAL DEL SOL Latincouver Cultural & Business Society – Vancouver, BC (volunteer/ …Read More
Volunteer Local Chapter Coordinator – VancouverOrganization: The Shoebox Project for Women
Description: Local Chapter Coordinator
KIDS PLAZA COORDINATOR – CARANVAL DEL SOLOrganization: Latincouver
Description: EVENT COORDINATOR KIDS PLAZA COORDINATOR – CARANVAL DEL SOL Latincouver Cultural & Business Society – Vancouver, BC (volunteer/ …Read More
Khatsahlano street partyOrganization: Khatsalano
Description: The Khatsalano Street Party is the largest and most exciting free outdoor music street festival in Vancouver, BC, and an amazing opportunity …Read More