Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society Board Treasurer)Organization Name: Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society
Opportunity Title: Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society Board Treasurer
Category: Special Events / Festivals
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: January 1, 2020
End Date: January 1, 2023
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
- Training or orientation required
Interested in gaining board experience? If so, we would love to hear from you! You may wish to learn more about our mandate and history before submitting, and you can do so, here.
All submissions will be reviewed by our Board Nominations Committee. Prospective candidates will then be contacted for an interview. Successful candidates will be officially confirmed at our AGM in January 2022.
VAHMS values the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization. We encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, people with disabilities, people identifying as LGBTQI+, and newcomers to apply. We also understand that applicants may experience a number of these identities simultaneously in ways that reinforce and nuance their experience. We are committed to creating an organization as diverse as the communities we serve.
All VAHMS board positions are on a volunteer basis and if elected, your term will be for two years with the possibility re-election for consecutive terms.
The board treasurer is an executive and voting member of the board of directors. They are accountable to the Board for the fulfillment of the duties and responsibilities outlined below
The treasurer, as other board members, has no authority to direct staff or take independent action on matters outside of the duties outlined unless given such authority by the Board
Roles and Responsibilities
The treasurer will offer guidance to the President of the Board and the Executive Director to ensure good fiscal planning, decision-making.
- Oversee the development of high-level financial policies and their review by the board
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the board for review
- Ensure that the appropriate monthly or quarterly financial statements are reviewed by the board
- Ensure that the board regularly monitors the organization’s financial performance and alerts it to any important discrepancies between planned and actual figures
- Ensure that the organization maintains the appropriate financial books and records and that these are accurate and up to date
- Ensure that government tax filings and remittances are submitted on a timely basis
- Serve as a co-signer of cheques with at least one another signing Director
- Ensure that excess funds and reserves are properly held and invested
- Verify that payments, donations and sells are handled appropriately and that grants, and service delivery contracts are accounted for
- Assists the Executive Director and President of the board with the development and presentation of the annual report
- Present or co-present the organization’s financial report
- Helps, along with the Executive Director, keep the board informed of important financial events, trends, and issues relevant to the organization
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic directions
- An understanding of, and experience with, good financial management and reporting practices
- A professional accounting designation may be required
- An appreciation of the kind and level of financial information needed at a board level to support decision making
- An ability to commit the time required to fulfill the responsibilities described.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out via email: email@example.com
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directionsc/o UBC Learning Exchange, 612 Main Street
Other Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society Volunteer Opportunities
Other Special Events / Festivals Volunteer Opportunities
Description: LunarFest is an annual winter event held in BC to celebrate the Lunar New Year like no other. This year’s School Outreach Program provides …Read More