VanDusen Botanical Garden Association (VanDusen Garden Guide)Organization Name: VanDusen Botanical Garden Association
Opportunity Title: VanDusen Garden Guide
Category: Education / Training / Teaching
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: April 6, 2019
End Date: November 13, 2021
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
As Garden ambassadors, VanDusen Guides invite visitors to explore and learn more about the Garden and the amazing world of plants. By offering dynamic guided tours and acting as information resources, Guides help visitors connect with VanDusen’s beautiful 55-acre garden. Guided walking and cart tours are offered daily from April to October, walking tours are also available Sunday afternoons year round weather permitting.
- Plans, organizes and conducts walking and/or cart tours
- Interprets the Garden’s collections, history and horticultural practices, while welcoming visitors and answering their questions
- Keeps up-to-date and informed about the Garden
- Attends Guide Education meetings and Garden Walks, participates in Guide projects and special events in the Garden as appropriate
- Records Guide activity statistics as required
Skills, Attitudes, Knowledge Required:
- Experience in customer service, teaching, guiding or botany is an asset but not a requirement
- Excellent communication skills and customer service focused.
Training and Orientation:
- Orientation to VanDusen Garden and the roles volunteers play at the VBGA
- The eight week Guide Basic Training course starts in April and covers practical interpretation skills, basic botany, and an overview of Guiding. The course prepares new Guides for apprenticeship and further learning.
Time Commitment: A minimum of 20 hours of guiding per year. Trainee guides a minimum of 48 hours per year (3-4 shifts per month).
Supervisory Relationships/liaison: Candidate will be supervised by, and liaise with the Guide Captain.
Authority/Decision Making: Must be comfortable making decisions and problem solving with minimal supervision.
- Enhance botanical knowledge, further develop customer service and communication skills
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated team in a well-respected charity
- Contribute your time and talents in an impactful way for a worthwhile cause
- Reference letter
- Availability for training dates: The guide training dates are on the following Saturdays: Apr 6, 13, 27, May 4, 25, June 1 and June 8 from 10am – 3pm (note: 3:30pm end time on April 8).
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions5251 Oak Street
Other VanDusen Botanical Garden Association Volunteer Opportunities
Other Education / Training / Teaching Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Silver Harbour Seniors’ Activity Centre is seeking a volunteer watercolour painting instructor to work for two hours weekly with a group of seniors of various skill and experience levels. …Read More
Description: Are you an undergraduate/graduate student or a young professional? Looking for a way to help out high school and post-secondary students? The National Student Network has a great opportunity …Read More