This volunteer opportunity has expired!
Parent Support Services of BC (Volunteer Facilitators for Parent Support Groups)Organization Name: Parent Support Services of BC
Opportunity Title: Volunteer Facilitators for Parent Support Groups
Category: Counselling / Support / Mentoring
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: February 23, 2018
End Date: February 25, 2018
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
- Training or orientation required
Parent Support Service of BC is a non-profit organization, with a mission to protect the safety and well-being of children and promote the health of all families by partnering with those in a parenting role and their communities to build support, advocacy, education, research, and resources.
PSS offers the following programs and services:
- Parenting Support Circles Program: self-help and peer support Circles to parents, grandparents, and/or other caregivers, in different communities throughout BC. Our Circles provide a safe space for parents, grandparents, and/or other caregivers, to not only get together to discuss their strengths, challenges or concerns they may have faced throughout the week or throughout their time in a parenting role, but to also build a supportive network, receive emotional support, and learn new skills. Moreover, in some of our communities, we have Circles that are: language specific – Spanish, Korean, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Filipino; for kinship care providers and grandparents who are raising their grandchildren or another relatives 24/7; for parents with children on the autism spectrum; for fathers and mothers in the prison system; and for parents of Trans or gender creative children. Each Circle is facilitated by two trained volunteers, who practice within a self-help and peer support model. Our model of practice provides Circle members with a supportive network; promotes self-advocacy; empowers and boosts self-esteem; and helps create a healthier living environment for all families. All our Circles are free, confidential and anonymous.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Line: operated by two part-time advocates, trained in advocacy, social work, family law, and government services related to kinship caregiving. Individuals can call in and seek information on complex services such as the Ministry of Children and Family Development, or they can call in if they have questions surrounding benefits, resources, and any other questions surrounding kinship caregiving. Our GRG support line operates on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10 am to 2 pm – 1-855-474-9777 –GRGline@parentsupportbc.ca
- Community Workshops: For parents, grandparents and/or caregivers. These workshops vary in topics and location.
We are holding a facilitator training seminar on February 23-25, 2018. Every fiscal year, we facilitate 5 training seminars (in different regions in BC) for volunteers who are willing to commit for 2-3 hours a week for a minimum of 1 year. We require that all volunteers partake in our 20h training, in order to qualify as volunteer facilitators with PSS. This is to ensure that our volunteers are knowledgeable about our services; learn how to utilize the self-help, peer support model; and to ensure that our services and practice is consistent and reliable.
PSS volunteers are valuable team players in our organization. Their work, dedication and commitment to supporting parents, grandparents, and other caregivers throughout BC, are truly appreciated and valued.
Please contact email@example.com or call at 604-669-1616, for more information.
Get DirectionsBurnaby, BC
Other Parent Support Services of BC Volunteer Opportunities
Category: Children & Youth
Description: Parent Support Services Society of BC is looking for volunteers to deliver a quality childminding/playgroup program for children birth to 5 years (& some older children under 12), whose …Read More