Employ to Empower (Volunteer Opportunity: Street Store 7.0)Organization Name: Employ to Empower
Opportunity Title: Volunteer Opportunity: Street Store 7.0
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: Less than 6 months, One Day / Special Event
Start Date: October 7, 2020
End Date: November 18, 2020
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
Calling all volunteers!
We are currently searching for several different types of volunteers for the Vancouver Street Store.
The Vancouver Street Store is a free outdoor pop-up store, facilitated by Employ to Empower, that takes place annually in December for residents in the Downtown Eastside. The goal of this event is to provide a dignified holiday shopping experience where residents are uplifted and offered a hand up rather than a hand out. Since 2014, the Street Store has made an impact in the community by working with 293+ volunteers, sharing 49,650+ donations and spreading holiday cheer to more than 5,667 residents.
The Vancouver Street Store was the inspiration behind Employ to Empower, a registered Canadian charity that empowers people facing work and social barriers to cultivate community connections through entrepreneurship and self-advocacy opportunities. These opportunities include affordable microloans and business mentorship with the goal of having a long term impact on personal and economic well-being. Employ to Empower also actively advocates for positive social change in the Downtown Eastside community.
This year, the Street Store will take place Saturday, December 12 at 58 West Hastings Street (10am – 4pm).
Ways to volunteer:
- If you are interested in volunteering on the day of the event at the Street Store, please fill out this survey.
- Donation Champions help us collect donations by organizing a collection drive as there are a number of priority items we need like warm outerwear, backpacks, blankets, toiletries, socks and shoes, to name a few. We have a kit that can help make this easier for you. If you would like to be a Donation Champion, please fill out this survey.
- If you’re interested in helping sort donations, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know!
- This year, Employ to Empower is looking to create a ripple effect of change through building a fierce group of FUNDRAISING CHAMPIONS to help fundraise by spreading the word to their circle of changemakers. Click here to sign up.
- We’re also in need of a few volunteer hairdressers, so if you know of anyone willing to help out please give me a shout!
- Donate to help us continue this tradition for the long term .
The safety of our volunteers and attendees of the Street Store is our top priority. In line with COVID-19 guidelines, we will be providing all volunteers with the appropriate protective gear such as masks, gloves, and shields. There will also be distancing measures and strategic scheduling in place to minimize contact.
Your support would really help us continue this tradition for the 7th year and provide a festive and warm experience to residents in the Downtown Eastside.
Hope to speak with you soon,
Events Specialist (Volunteer Recruitment)
Employ to Empower
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions405-268 Keefer Street
Other Employ to Empower Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Interested in volunteering in a one-on-one setting? CNIB’s Vision Mate program might be the right for you! Once a week for two hours, Vision Mate volunteers are “matched” to an individual …Read More
Description: Help end violence against women and girls – volunteer at My Sister’s Closet. Our Retail Program and Social Enterprise provides girls and women with volunteer experience which increases …Read More