Frontier College (Volunteer Tutor)Organization Name: Frontier College
Opportunity Title: Volunteer Tutor
Category: Education / Training / Teaching
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: October 13, 2018
End Date: June 30, 2019
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
- Training or orientation required
Dates and commitment: Flexible start and end dates, with minimum six-month commitment. 2-4 hours per week required.
Location: Multiple locations to choose from in Vancouver, Richmond, South Burnaby, Surrey, New Westminster and Abbotsford.
About Frontier College:
Frontier College is a national non-profit literacy organization that has been working with kids, teens, and adults for over 100 years. We connect with various education and community-based programs and respond to specific learning needs, in order to develop and deliver inclusive literacy-based activities. Through tutor recruitment, training, and placement we enable individuals and communities to reach their literacy and learning goals.
We believe that literacy is a right.
You will work as a volunteer tutor with marginalized learners in underserved communities. You will have the choice of working one-on-one or in group settings with kids, teens, or adults, in one of our 20 partner programs in and around Vancouver. On average, tutors spend 2-4 hrs/week with the program partner and learners, assisting the program lead in planning and delivering the session activities. You will work directly with learners on their homework assignments, life skills, and other engaging, inclusive, and fun learning activities.
Most importantly, you will be committed to assisting someone in reaching their learning goals in a way that works for them!
See our volunteers talk about their experiences with Frontier College in this video.
What you will receive:
- Experience working with marginalized communities in alternative education settings;
- Tutor training focused on student-centered individualized learning, and ongoing support from staff;
- We will provide a reference after 6 months of successful volunteering.
- Submit a written application, and attend a brief interview;
- Complete a short online orientation, and attend a one-day tutor training session;
- Complete a Criminal Record Check, which is arranged and paid for by Frontier College.
- An interest in creating and/or delivering activities that bring a unique approach to learning;
- A proactive, positive, and flexible attitude, as every session can be different;
- Volunteers must be committed to their role as tutors, have a desire to work with people, and a respect for diversity of learning styles.
Frontier College is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you would like more information or to receive an application package to become volunteer tutor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 604-713-5848.
Charitable Registration : #10740 8445 RR0001
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity