This volunteer opportunity has expired!
Parkinson Society British Columbia (Events & Marketing Volunteer)Organization Name: Parkinson Society British Columbia
Opportunity Title: Events & Marketing Volunteer
Category: Communications / Marketing / Media
Commitment: Less than 6 months, 6 months to 1 year, Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: November 29, 2018
End Date: March 31, 2019
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
ABOUT THE ROLE
Did you know that over 13,000 British Columbians live with Parkinson’s disease? Parkinson’s is the second most common degenerative neurological disorder after Alzheimer’s, and there is no known cure.
Parkinson Society British Columbia empowers people with Parkinson’s across the province. Our purpose is to ease the burden of the disease through advocacy, education, research and support services. We are part of a strong community united in our dedication to improve the lives of those affected by this illness.
The Society is looking for a regular, dedicated volunteer to assist with event administration, and marketing & communications duties. As the Events & Marketing Volunteer, you will work under the direction of the Resource Development & Volunteer Coordinator, and the Marketing & Communications Coordinator.
2019 marks a significant year for Parkinson Society BC, as we gear up to celebrate our 50th anniversary, and host numerous fundraisers, including the 29th annual Parkinson SuperWalk. The Events & Marketing Volunteer will gain valuable experience in event planning and promotion, fundraising, and digital marketing.
This position is ideal for students or recent graduates looking to expand their professional experience, while working in a friendly, supportive environment for a great cause!
- Professional manner, determination, and motivation
- Strong organizational, communication, and writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with mail merges and letter writing considered an asset
- Comfort in making cold calls to potential donors for fundraisers, such as auctions and raffles
- Knowledge of Parkinson’s disease considered an asset
- Driver’s license considered an asset (Class 7N or Class 5)
- Solicit auction and raffle prizes for both Parkinson Society BC’s Online Auctions and our largest fundraiser, SuperWalk
- Assist in preparing SuperWalk mailings
- Research prospective charitable partnerships and opportunities
- Create a digital archive of Society newsletters for use in 50th anniversary campaigns
- Assist in 50th anniversary digital marketing campaigns as necessary
- Other administrative tasks as required
Benefits & Recognition
For this position, we encourage applications from post-secondary students or recent graduates looking to gain experience in the non-profit sector or events/marketing industry. Reference letters for volunteer hours worked will be available upon request.
Number of Volunteers Required: 1
Time commitment: 4 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks. This volunteer position is flexible; however, hours must be between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
If you are interested, please reference “Events & Marketing Volunteer” in the subject line of your email to:
Resource Development & Volunteer Coordinator