Surrey Women’s Centre (Resource Centre Support Volunteer)Organization Name: Surrey Women’s Centre
Opportunity Title: Resource Centre Support Volunteer
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: November 2, 2020
End Date: May 31, 2021
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
About the Centre
Surrey Women’s Centre (SWC) is a not-for-profit charitable organization that provides free counselling and support services for survivors of violence, primarily women and children (occasionally for men). Inspired by a shared vision, SWC board, staff and volunteers work together in order to provide the best possible services to women and children in our community.
To increase the safety and support for women and children fleeing violence.
We are looking for compassionate self-starters who want to support women in need. Surrey Women’s Centre is looking for volunteers to assist with the resource centre; where we open our doors to women in need of clothing, shoes, home goods and personal care products. Volunteers will be working in our Resource Centre, on weekdays between the hours of 9:30am and 5:00pm (the whole day is not required, you can choose when you’d like to volunteer). Volunteers would primarily be sorting, organizing and sanitizing donations, as well as assisting with front desk tasks such as answering the phone and other administration tasks as needed.
This is a great way to gain valuable work experience, make difference in your community, and learn about how to help women from a trauma informed, feminist, and harm reduction perspective.
Due to COVID-19 we have added safety protocols for volunteers handling donations in order to ensure the safety of our volunteers, staff, clients and community.
Tasks and Duties
Drop-in Centre Support:
- Volunteers will accept donations and bring them inside to be sorted. Items that can be sanitized will be cleaned and put away for the next sharing closet date. Clothing that is unsuitable for clients will be put aside for our partnered donation centre.
- Organize clothes by type and size on clothing racks
- Assist with keeping space organized, clean and visually appealing.
- Welcome clients into the space and ask for name & contact information for COVID-19 tracing during sharing closet hours.
- Create care packages of hygiene products that can be easily handed out to clients. This includes items like shampoo, body wash, etc.
- Answer incoming phone calls and record data for data entry; direct these messages to appropriate team.
- Welcome clients/guests into the centre when the doorbell rings; perform COVID safety check.
- Assist in other administration tasks for the Resource Centre Assistant as needed
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Self-identifying as female
- Must complete a police background check
How to Apply
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity