Rainbow Refugee Society (SPONSOR A REFUGEE)Organization Name: Rainbow Refugee Society
Opportunity Title: SPONSOR A REFUGEE
Category: Fundraising & Sponsorship
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year, Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: September 30, 2023
End Date: August 26, 2025
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Appropriate for court-ordered volunteers
- Training or orientation required
In 2011, Rainbow Refugee Society partnered with the Federal government to direct a blended sponsorship program called the Rainbow Refugee Assistance Partnership (RRAP). This is a national project, and Rainbow Refugee is responsible for working with its Circles of Hope and other community organizations across Canada to sponsor LGBTQ+ asylum seekers.
The RRAP is part of the private sponsorship stream. Private sponsorship generally is a 12-month commitment once the newcomer arrives in Canada. The applications for individuals and couples are submitted through government-approved Sponsorship Agreement holders (SAH).
- Create safer pathways to refugee protection for LGBTQI refugees
- Encourage participation by local LGBTQ2I communities and civil society in refugee sponsorship
- Promote a resettlement pathway that is responsive to distinct settlement challenges of LGBTQI refugees