Plan Institute for Citizenship and Disability (Community Outreach Volunteer)Organization Name: Plan Institute for Citizenship and Disability
Opportunity Title: Community Outreach Volunteer
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: March 6, 2023
End Date: February 19, 2099
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
About Plan Institute:
Plan Institute is a nationally registered charity whose mission is to empower people with disabilities to lead a good life. We do this through:
- Innovation – We engage in social innovation through community-based projects and partnerships that help empower those living with disabilities.
- Education – We offer educational initiatives designed for individuals, families, and organizations, including workshops, courses, retreats, publications, and resources.
- Leadership – We provide collaborative leadership by convening a diverse group of stakeholders to encourage public policy reform and system transformation.
Plan Institute envisions a future where all people with disabilities lead a good life. For Plan Institute, the concept of a good life means: being financially secure; contributing to and participating in caring and inclusive communities; being respected and empowered to make decisions; knowing the loving support of friends and family; choosing a place to live and call home; and having a well-planned future.
We build on the 30 years of our sister organization, PLAN (Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network), and their experience working with families to build a good life for people with disabilities.
In this 2019 video, we discuss why Plan Institute was founded, some of our accomplishments over the
years, and our hopes for the future: Plan Institute 20th Anniversary Video.
Visit our website to find out more: www.planinstitute.ca.
About this opportunity:
- Type: Volunteer
- Location: Various locations within the Lower Mainland in BC, occasionally at the Plan Institute office in Burnaby.
- Schedule: Varied. Events are held on weekdays and weekends and are usually confirmed at least 3-4 weeks prior to the date. Attendance will be required at one event every four months, depending on event availability.
- Minimum Commitment: 1 Year
Plan Institute is looking for committed and passionate individuals who are inspired by our values and vision to join us as Community Outreach Volunteers.
Community Outreach Volunteers will represent Plan Institute at events across the Lower Mainland. Volunteers will provide information to individuals with disabilities, families, and professionals to support financial and future planning efforts in the community.
As part of this role, volunteers will be required to travel to different locations across the Lower Mainland. This includes collecting event materials from Plan Institute staff and transporting them to and from events. While driving is not a requirement, all volunteers must have access to a form of transport that allows them to carry out this role effectively. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
Each volunteer will be required to complete an initial round of training, with ongoing learning opportunities available.
While we are primarily recruiting Community Outreach Volunteers, we may also need occasional volunteer support with other activities, such as marketing and communications, research, or administrative tasks. When completing the volunteer application, please indicate whether you are also interested in other areas of volunteer support.
This position will provide valuable non-profit and community volunteer experience, as well as a chance to develop your communication skills and knowledge around various aspects of disability financial and future planning and empowerment.
- Communicate with a wide range of individuals, including persons with a disability, family members and professionals.
- Provide information about Plan Institute’s programs and services at community events.
- Set up and take down display table materials and resources.
- Answer questions and refer to resources and supports available.
- Take contact information for people who would like to receive further information or support.
- Connect with other exhibitors at events to exchange information and resources that may be helpful when supporting others.
- Complete volunteer feedback and hour tracking sheet after each event.
- Provide feedback to the Plan Institute team on community supports and resources, when appropriate.
- Other community support and information provision opportunities, as available.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of people.
- Strong interpersonal and connection-building skills.
- Initiative-taker with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Capacity to direct attention to multiple places at once (multi-tasking).
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Passionate about inclusion and empowerment of marginalized communities.
- Access to a means of transportation that will enable you to transport event materials to and from events.
- Understanding of and experience in the family-led disability movement and other marginalized populations is an asset.
- Understanding of and experience with the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and Disability Tax Credit (DTC) is an asset.
- Experience working with families and non-profit organizations is an asset.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is an asset.
- Valuable non-profit and community volunteer experience.
- Unique opportunity to volunteer in a self-guided manner, with flexible volunteer hours.
- Access to ongoing skill development.
- Opportunity to provide critical community support to individuals with disabilities, their families and networks.
Please apply here. Please note that applications will only be accepted through the application form.
- This posting has been extended and now closes on Sunday, February 19 at 11:59pm PST.
- We thank all applicants for their consideration of this volunteer position. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted shortly after the position closes to schedule an interview.
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a police information check before joining Plan Institute. Plan Institute will cover the cost of this process.
- We hope to welcome volunteers on board and begin training in early March.
- If you have any questions about the position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plan Institute is committed to a safe, inclusive, and collaborative environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. As such, individuals from diverse backgrounds, including race, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and mental illness are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Accessible formats and communication supports are available for applicants by request; please contact email@example.com.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get DirectionsLower Mainland, BC
Other Plan Institute for Citizenship and Disability Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
FAMILY PLAZA COORDINATOR-CARNAVAL DEL SOLOrganization: Latincouver
Description: EVENT COORDINATOR FAMILY PLAZA COORDINATOR-CARNAVAL DEL SOL Latincouver Cultural & Business Society – Vancouver, BC (volunteer/ …Read More
Khatsahlano street partyOrganization: Khatsalano
Description: The Khatsalano Street Party is the largest and most exciting free outdoor music street festival in Vancouver, BC, and an amazing opportunity …Read More
Volunteer Local Chapter Coordinator – VancouverOrganization: The Shoebox Project for Women
Description: Local Chapter Coordinator
Condom Packing PartyOrganization: SWAN Vancouver
Description: Pack condoms and safer sex supplies for im/migrant women engaged in sex work. Bring a friend, connect with community members and learn about …Read More
OpenTable Kitchen ManagerOrganization: OpenTable at Cityview Church
Description: Are you a caring adult with cooking and/or kitchen management skills who is looking to contribute to a flourishing community meal …Read More