Frontier College (Volunteer Tutor)Organization Name: Frontier College
Opportunity Title: Volunteer Tutor
Category: Education / Training / Teaching
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: January 7, 2019
End Date: January 1, 2021
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
FRONTIER COLLEGE is a national charitable literacy organization, established in 1899 on the belief that literacy is a right. We work collaboratively with community-based agencies across Canada to provide targeted, innovative literacy and numeracy support where it’s needed most. Each year, over 31,000 children, youth, and adults participate in our programs in more than 160 communities throughout the country. Read more at frontiercollege.ca
Volunteer as a learning partner in one of our community partner programs in the Lower Mainland. Choose to work one-on-one or in group settings with kids, teens, or adults. Work directly with learners on their homework assignments, life skills, and other engaging, inclusive, and fun learning activities.
On average, tutors spend 2-4 hrs per week volunteering. Programs are located in Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster, Surrey, Richmond and Abbotsford.
Frontier College relies on volunteers for continued success in everything we do. Each year, folks across Canada donate more than 50,000 hours to reading stories, tutoring, and learning together. See our local volunteers talk about their experiences with Frontier College in this video!
Note: embed the link if possible, but if not, include the url link: https://youtu.be/ESGhh4LjisE
- An inclusive, respectful approach to working with learners, that prioritizes the learner’s strengths and goals
- A solution-oriented and flexible attitude, as every session can be different
- Availability and ability to commit to at least six months of volunteering
- No teaching or education experience is necessary – our volunteers come from many different backgrounds and experiences!
What you’ll receive
- Gain experience working with communities in alternative learning settings, which can present unique challenges and rewards. You will not only build a relationship with program learners and fellow volunteers, but also with our community partners.
- Receive training focused on student-centered individualized learning and anti-oppression, as well as ongoing support from staff, and engagement with your fellow tutors. You will also have access to our online Member Centre resource database, which is full of tutor resources—and gives you an opportunity to share ideas with Frontier College volunteers across Canada.
- We may provide a reference after 6 months of volunteering, and you can also be added to our email list to receive updates on employment postings.
- Submit a volunteer application
- Attend a brief interview to talk about your goals, interests and schedule
- Complete a short online orientation and submit a criminal record check
- Attend a training session on Saturday, February 14th or Saturday, February 23rd
How to Apply
Apply now online: https://www.frontiercollege.ca/Get-Involved/Volunteer/Volunteer-Application-Form
Or contact us: email@example.com, 604-713-5848.
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get DirectionsVancouver, BC
Other Frontier College Volunteer Opportunities
Category: Education / Training / Teaching
Description: Volunteer as a learning partner in one of our community partner programs in the Lower Mainland. Choose to work one-on-one or in group settings with kids, youth or young adults. Work directly …Read More
Other Education / Training / Teaching Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Silver Harbour Seniors’ Activity Centre is seeking a volunteer watercolour painting instructor to work for two hours weekly with a group of seniors of various skill and experience levels. …Read More
Description: Our volunteers do a little bit of everything. They work one-on-one with children on art projects, provide scribing in our writersʻ workshops, work in our library, prepare art activities, …Read More