ONE TO ONE Literacy (Volunteer Reading Tutor)Organization Name: ONE TO ONE Literacy
Opportunity Title: Volunteer Reading Tutor
Category: Education / Training / Teaching
Commitment: Less than 6 months, 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: February 1, 2024
End Date: May 31, 2024
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
Open the world of reading to a child and become a volunteer tutor!
ONE TO ONE Literacy Society is looking for enthusiastic, compassionate, and open-minded individuals to share the joy of reading with children in their community. Volunteer tutors develop a connection with their readers that will help them feel successful and confident with their reading skills.
We run two programs:
– In-person school tutoring at a local elementary school in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. We are specifically looking for volunteers to support elementary schools in East and South Vancouver
– Virtual after-school tutoring over Zoom
What are the requirements?
We are looking for community members who are:
– Friendly, reliable, and approachable
– Aged 18 or over
– Available to meet during the school day, at an elementary school in East or South Vancouver, or after-school (4-6 pm) over Zoom
– Able to commit to weekly shifts for the duration of the school year from February to June
Who are the readers?
Children in grades 1-7 who are not reading at the same level as their peers or could benefit from one-on-one time with a caring literacy tutor.
No prior tutoring experience is necessary! ONE TO ONE will provide ongoing training opportunities and a network of support.
It is easy to get started on your volunteer journey – fill out an application form online, https://one-to-one.ca/get-involved/become-a-tutor/, complete a free criminal record check, and then have a chat with ONE TO ONE on the phone to make sure we are a good match. Initial training sessions for new volunteers will be held in January 2024.