This volunteer opportunity has expired!
Second Harvest (Food Rescue Volunteer)Organization Name: Second Harvest
Opportunity Title: Food Rescue Volunteer
Category: Driving / Transportation
Commitment: Less than 6 months, 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: May 31, 2022
End Date: August 1, 2022
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Appropriate for court-ordered volunteers
- Training or orientation required
Are you passionate about the environment? Do you hate seeing good food go to waste? Join Second Harvest in getting unsold surplus food to local food programs by becoming a food rescue volunteer!
The Second Harvest Food Rescue App connects food donors directly with non-profit organizations that supply healthy, unsold food to those experiencing food insecurity. Through the food rescue app, Second Harvest supports 3000+ non-profit organizations across Canada in getting food to people experiencing hunger.
Second harvest is looking for volunteers in Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, and Surrey to make food deliveries to non-profit organizations who do not have the capacity to rescue food from local food businesses… Let’s rescue food together!
Food Rescue Volunteer Role:
- Food rescue volunteers play a vital role in transporting food donations to participating non-profit organizations in Vancouver and surrounding areas
- Use the Second Harvest Food Rescue App website to view, claim, and transport recurring (i.e. weekly) food donations to non-profit organizations within your preferred radius
- Transport surplus food from local food businesses by foot, bike, or vehicle using proper food storage for health and safety
- Confirm successful rescues on your account
- Provide ongoing feedback to Second Harvest staff during the pilot test phase of the volunteer project through check-ins and surveys
- Three-month minimum commitment
- Approximately 1-2 hours per week; daytime (preferred), evenings, weekends
- Ongoing opportunity with flexible scheduling
- Passionate about the environment, food rescue, and reducing hunger
- Reliable and committed
- Age of majority (19+)
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 25 lbs
- Moderate use of technology (email, website, online personal profile management)
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Health and Safety:
- Masks must be worn at all times while picking up/dropping off food donations and volunteers must follow all Second Harvest health and safety protocols
The Food Rescue Volunteer opportunity is currently in the pilot phase! The volunteer start date is to be determined this spring, but we are excited build a team of testers to help us offer a new service to local communities soon. We look forward to hearing from you!
If you would like to learn more about the volunteer opportunity before applying, feel free to attend a 15-minute food rescue volunteer information sessions on April 4, April 18, or May 4 at 12:00 pm PST. Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZctduyorD8pH9HGdqHjzC7iNxdEbx7idL94
To apply, please contact Adrienne Tsandelis at email@example.com. All volunteers must complete an official volunteer application, phone interview, and reference check.